Sunday 4 January 2009

Pop Punk - bin it.

With very very very few exceptions, I absolutely despise all that now comes under the banner of 'pop punk' music. I'm not talking about what used to be known as pop-punk, stuff like Descendents, Screeching Weasel etc, I mean the girlyboy drivel ala New Found Glory and friends. Since when has doing a terrible impression of a girl singing about love and shit in a sickening OTT American accent been punk?! Let's take a little look at some of the lyrics these 'chaps' are throwing out there, shall we? This little ditty is an excerpt from a song by the aformentioned New Found Glory:

''Let's make a date out of the cinema
Then stay out till early in the morning
I always like it cause we take it slow
While everyone around us seems so hurried

It feels familiar, cause I've been here before
When your words
Swept the ground right from under me
Remember when you were so insecure
Now you can't get your hands up off of me''

Awwwwwwww cute...fuckoff. And to think I know MALES who like this shit!! No wonder people end up forming bands like One Life Crew, that's enough to make anyone want to kick something in the face. I don't wanna hear a song about going on a fucking date with a girl. I wanna hear a song about how you wanna turn someones face into soup, something that makes me wanna run through town at 1am swinging a bat. People only start pop punk bands to get girls, it has to be the only reason. How else can you have a whole set of songs just moaning about girls? We all have our problems in that area, but jesus man the fuck up and get it out without making me want to vomit in your face with your stupid fanny voice. If you're gonna sing about touchy feely shit, and I do believe there is a time and a place and that it can be done tastefully, then leave 'punk' out of it.
Shave your swede, ditch the bitch and harden up with a bit of Haymaker you nancies.

''There is a fight in the pit and we don't care
Cause we're not stopping or going anywhere
We're on a mission to self destruct
And we don't care who gets fucked
So beat each other with chains and bats
And we'll be your fucking soundtrack.''

In fact, on second thoughts, don't bother.

No comments:

tracker

<-- Start of StatCounter Code -->

Contributors